Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Sxsw ala-presentation
- Librarians take SXSW by storm! WelcomeMimosa Time! (byob)
- Todays Format Facts and Info Panel Insights (our stories, our roles) Rinse and Repeat Q&A Breakouts with panelists for more personalized Q&A
- #sxswLAM #alaac14
- Some vocabulary SXSW: South by Southwest Southby: slang term for SXSW sxswLAM: South by Southwest Libraries, Archives and Museums
- What is SXSW?
- What is #sxswLAM? Good quesVon
- What is #sxswLAM? A core, volunteer group of passionate library, museum and archive sta who aXend, present and acVvely recruit their colleagues to join them at the annual SXSW InteracVve conference in AusVn TX. Partner OrganizaVons (ALA, PLA, #ideadrop, EveryLibrary, Urban Libraries Unite, Digital Public Library of America, Harvard Library Test Kitchen design group, others) Vendors (Proquest, InnovaVve Interfaces Inc. [III], Mobile Beacon, others)
- sxswLAM works to connect people to the tools that help them fuel their passions. They see SXSWi as an opportunity to talk with other creaVves and evangelize libraries, archives and museums. We all (LAM, partner orgs, vendors) live in a cloud of vibrant interacVon. At the center of our shared universe is the core LAM group which is also an enVty of its own. What is #sxswLAM?
- The Short Version Vision for evangelizing libraries, museums and archives to the SXSW technology community A mission for making new friends and bringing back stu we can use Volunteer-powered High Passion Goodwill-powered High credibility & trust (no formal org structure)
- Our Panel Sandy Tijerina (#ideadrophouse partner org) ChrisVan Zabriskiei (Queens Public Library/ Urban Librarians Unite & 2014 sxsw presenter) Mary Abler (First-Vme aXendee 2014; American Libraries SXSWi blogger) John Chrastka (EveryLibrary SuperPAC partner org) Carson Block (#sxswLAM ringmeister and panel moderator)
- Our SXSW Stories (Panel) What was our rst involvement with SXSW? What further acVons did we take? What are the results?
- SXSWi A place to gather with others A place to share ideas An incubator of cuong-edge technologies and digital creaVvity, the 2014 event features ve days of compelling presentaVons and panels from the brightest minds in emerging technology, scores of exciVng networking events hosted by industry leaders and an unbeatable lineup of special programs showcasing the best new websites, video games and startup ideas the community has to oer. From hands-on training to big-picture analysis of the future, SXSW InteracVve has become the place to preview the technology of tomorrow today. (From hXp://sxsw.com/interacVve/about)
- Why should the library community have a presence at SXSWi?
- We want to get the word out: Libraries, Museums and Archives are players in the digital age. We want to share, learn and collaborate with other players.
- SXSWi is a place to
- BE SEEN Show people were not just about books Put libraries on entrepreneurs radar Show that libraries have something for everyone
- HEAR Beware! Important conversaVons abound [Private screening of Edward Snowden interview at #IdeaDrop House, Photo credits: Mary Abler and Cindy Fisher]
- BE HEARD LAM-member panels 2014 included: The new startup garage for innova2on? Libraries! (Janie Hermann and Venu Moola) We will not be shushed: Guerilla Library Advocacy (ULU; Lauren Comito and Chris2an Zabriskie)
- SXSWi is also place to
- MAKE NEW CONNECTIONS With entrepreneurs, startups, emerging technologies, and established companies Above: Tina Coleman talks to a visitor at the InnovaVve Interfaces booth (and look at all our swag!) [Photo credit: Carson Block]
- MAKE COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS ChrisVan Zabriskie represenVng the Volunteer Library Brigade entrances passersby with Guerilla StoryVme [Photo credit: Carson Block]
- MAKE COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS Labrary (Library Test Kitchen) co-sponsored events with AusVn Public Libraries [Photo credit: Aspen Walker]
- MAKE FAMOUS CONNECTIONS?! If you sVck around long enough, youre bound to run into someone named Neil Neil Gaiman, 2013 Photo credit: Meghan Sitar
- MAKE FAMOUS CONNECTIONS?! Neil Young, 2014 Photo credit: Carson Block
- AND, (of course) HAVE FUN
- #sxswLAM has fun down to an art!
- Now for some Hits and History
- Jessamyn West at SXSWi 2000: First aLendance 2008: Jessamyn West presented The Day They Tested the Manifesto: how we handled a sexism brouhaha at MetaFilter hXp://www.librarian.net/talks/sxsw/ In 2009, Jessamyn West made a call to acVon on her blog, librarian.net, for library- land panel submissions: hXp://www.librarian.net/stax/2981/please-help-me-get-more-library-content-into- sxsw/ 2010: Jessamyn West and Jenny Engstrom, Panel: How the Other Half Lives--Touring the Digital Divide Archived informaVon here: hXp://www.librarian.net/talks/sxsw10/ 2011: Jessamyn West, Fiona Morgan, and JusVn Grimes, Panel: Oine America--Why We have a Digital Divide Archived informaVon here: hXp://www.librarian.net/talks/sxsw2011/ and here: hXp://schedule.sxsw.com/2011/events/event_IAP6287
- Jessamyn in her own words
- In between there was some library presence but mostly observaVonal
- 2012LAM arrives! The Great Library Swindle: Your Rights Are at Risk w/ Carson Block Read/Write Library: Mapping a City Through Media w/ Nell Taylor Making Stories: Libraries & Community Publishing w/ Amy Buckland, Char Booth, Michael Porter, Nate Hill Guerilla MarkeVng @ Your Library w/ Cathleen Ash A Penny Press for the Digital Age e/Jessamyn West, Fiona Morgan, Norberto Santana Jr., Ryan Thornburg, and Tome Stytes Radically Open Cultural Heritage Data on the Web w/ Adrian Stevenson, Jon Voss, Julie Allinson, Rachel Frick
- 2013LAM is in the house! Libraries: The UlVmate Playground (Andrea Davis, Naval Postgraduate School, Carson Block) hXps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx_zuljGyGA Poetry in MoVon: Sound Culture and Data Mining (Tanya Clement, The University of Texas at AusVn) Culture Hack: Libraries & Museums Open For Making (Rachel Frick, CLIR Digital Library FederaVon) Why Digital Maps Can Reboot Cultural History (Butch Lazorchak, Library of Congress) Black TwiXer AcVvism, Bigger Than Hip Hop (Stacie Williams, Harvard University)
- Andrea Davis in her own words
- sxswLAM SXSW InteracVve + Librar* + Archiv* + Museum* Through the eyes of Andrea Davis 2009-
- Volunteer = free badge! + contacts SXSW Panel Liaison Program: Help Us Improve the