Leafing Out: Creating a Library Website Using Simple Online Tools
Embed Size (px)
Presented at the 2013 Pacific Northwest Association of Church Libraries (PNACL) annual conference at Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, Idaho.
Transcript of Leafing Out: Creating a Library Website Using Simple Online Tools
- LEAFING OUT: CREATING A LIBRARY WEBSITE USING SIMPLE ONLINE TOOLS Ann Pool 2013 PNACL Conference Nampa, Idaho
- Agenda Setting up a blog for a library website Setting up LibraryThing to catalog library books Why combine them? Things you can do with LibraryThing widgets on your website One example in a bit more detail, and where you can go for others Questions/ideas/discussion
- Why use these tools? Easy to get started and use Free or very cheap Tend to be updated frequently so they stay looking modern Flickr user: secretlondon123 License: CC BY-SA 2.0
- A couple of catches Blogs tend to make it obvious if you dont post regularly Can be tough to customize if you decide you want to Busted !
- Setting up a blog Start at http:www.blogger.com Its owned by Google, so if you have a Google account all you have to do is sign in If not, click the Sign Up button in the corner
- Setting up a blog: Google profile Next option: create a Google+ profile or create a Blogger profile?
- Setting up a blog: Create the blog All you need for now is to click New Blog.
- Setting up a blog: Create the blog All you need to do for now is add a title and address, and choose a template.
- Setting up your blog: First post Think of it as typing in a word processor You can preview what it will look like, and publish the post when youre ready
- Setting up your blog: Main page Just a quick look at the page where youll find links to customize your blog. Youll use Layout and Template for that.
- Getting help with Blogger Google help for Blogger: https://support.google.com/blogger Blogger tour: overview https://www.blogger.com/tour_start.g YouTube video: how to create a blog on Blogger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA4s3wN_ vK8 BloggerHelps YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BloggerHelp?fe ature=watch
- Setting up LibraryThing Sign up at http://www.librarything.com Click Join Now and fill out a few fields
- LibraryThing: Add books The easiest way is to search for the book using the ISBN if available, or title and author
- Getting help with LibraryThing LibraryThing quick start page http://www.librarything.com/quickstart.php LibraryThing help http://www.librarything.com/wiki/index.php/ Help_and_FAQ LibraryThing training video on YouTube (created by a user) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d5gHi CzN8k
- Putting them together Many websites simply link to LibraryThing Another option: add widgets to your site Widget: a small application that gets added to a web page (or another location like your desktop) Keep people on your website Add useful features like reading and resource lists
- Reading and resource lists How-to video: http://youtu.be/g4lD0EIz9K 8
- Book blurbs How-to video: http://youtu.be/PRf6aqJaJI 0
- Subject and author displays How-to video: http://youtu.be/P31ap-AFHTQ
- Search box How-to video: http://youtu.be/1ToeZ5O4Fr4
- Questions? Email: email@example.com Church library website: http://crossandcrownrentonlibrary.blogspot.co m YouTube how-to tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/girlwsquirrel My LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=69353 88