How Travel Brands Use Social Pinning the Right Way
Embed Size (px)
With 87% of travelers using the internet for their travel planning and 52% changing their original travel plans based on the influence of social media, companies can't afford to ignore the power of social media. This presentation explains how travelers use Pinterest and recommends how travel related companies can use Pinterest to market to their audiences. It also includes Tips and Tricks with examples.
Transcript of How Travel Brands Use Social Pinning the Right Way
- SITELAB INTERACTIVEJenn Barber Social Media StrategistFrom startups to large enterprise brands, I consultSiteLabs clients to connect them with opportunitiesto engage with social media. A few of my clientsuccesses include: Growing Facebook likes to over 40,000 in less than 6 months @jbarber5000 Attracting over 680,000 referred visits from Pinterest alone Writing engaging content Retweeted by the Huffington Post and Self Magazine
- TRAVELERS USE SOCIAL MEDIATravelers use the Internet for most of their travel planning 87% of travelers used the Internet for most of their travel planning 62% research an upcoming trip 45% sourced initial trip idea 31% watched travel videoSocial Media influences travelers 52% have changed their original travel plans 50% of travel companies agreed direct bookings generated from social mediaSource: MediaBistro.com
- ENTER PINTERESTanother social media site
- Pinterest is a place to organize and share online images that you findinteresting or inspiring. Once uploaded or shared on Pinterest, theseimages become known as pins, which the user can place oncustomized, themed boards.
- Pinterest hit 10MM US Monthly Unique Visitors faster than any independent site in history 12 MM registered users (#5) 104 MM monthly visits (#3) 68% Women / 32% Men Most age 25-44; 28% have a HH income of $100K+ Time Spent by Avg Social Networking User/Mo 405 mins (#1)Source: MediaBistro.com
- SOCIALLY INTEGRATED 9 MM Monthly Facebook-connected users More than one-fifth of Facebook-connected users are on Pinterest daily (which represents more than 2 MM members) Generates more referral traffic to websites than YouTube, Google+, and LinkedIn combined Pinterest API plays nice with email marketing (MailChimp), Facebook, Photo Sharing (Flickr), Browsers, and Video (Vimeo)Source: AppData.com
- CVBs, Media, Attractions, Airlines, Hotels
- SO WHATare these people doing?
- EXPRESSING THEMSELVES
- CREATING REMINDERS
- SHARING & RECOMMENDING
- LEARNING & EXPLORING
- SEARCHING & DISCOVERING
- WELL, IM READY how about you?
- First, lets decide where well go Evaluation Beautiful Pictures
- Ok, what will we do when we get there Collection Easy-to-Share Content
- What are we going to packPreparation Helpful Tips & Amenities
- Were back that was fun! Sharing Beautiful Pictures
- GET STARTEDsome recommendations
- TRAVEL MARKETING ON PINTEREST Showcase your stuff Share some secrets DONT include pricing on your pins Connect with the community Collaborate Build your brand image Create variety with videos Stay social Add buttons to your site Run a contest
- Hass Avocado Board Collaborative Board Slow growth of followers in the beginning Created Avocado Lovers Board Invited a few bloggers in the community, and then opened it to anyone who requested Low maintenance, delete duplicates Results: 11,170 followers, 10,158 pins to 1 board / 12,429 followers to profile Unsolicited blog posts Lots of content and conversation starters More followers than Dunkin Donuts, PaneraCASE STUDY
- Visit Savannah Variety of Visuals Marketing the Savannah area for leisure tourism, meetings and conventions Began using Pinterest in November 2011 as an experiment in just 3 months attracted nearly 12,000 followers Sept 2012: 16,038 followers with 32 boards Personalized by Amy B. Organized by Interests and Lifestyle Pinterest tab on their Facebook page Harness the power of Paula Deen (and butter)CASE STUDY
- Four Seasons Austin Build Around Lifestyle Builds boards around the city Austin Lifestyle weddings, adventures, day trips Amenities in-house dining options, amenities, spa services, meeting space Sept 2012: 690 followers with 19 boards Contrast this with Chicago (327 followers) and Los Angeles (567 follower) who are much less city-focused. Other hotel ideas city, design, event photos, what a wedding would look likeCASE STUDY
- Best Western Contest Create board Niche Celebrating Small Business Week How to Enjoy the Traveling, of Travel Prize - $500 Best Western Gift Card Share with us the things you enjoy while out on the road traveling for business. Pin items to YOUR board and then post the link in the comments on Best Western board Showcases what theyre good at Budget Travel for business or pleasureCASE STUDY
- Jetsetter Contest Curator Community that provides members with insider access, expert knowledge and exclusive deals on the worlds greatest vacations to travelers Asked fans to make the ultimate travel destination pinboard from Jetsetter.com and web with #JetSetterCurator hashtag 4 categories escape, adventure, style, cosmopolitan (market research), posted exs Big name Panel of Judges Arianna Huffington Prizes for best pinboard & most followers 1.6 MM followersCASE STUDY
- CONTEST BEST PRACTICES Contest type Best pinboard, Most likes/repins, Sweepstakes Consider board names and placement Include detailed instructions hashtags, board title, comments, forms Review Pinterests Terms & Conditions Create a landing page with contest info, rules, and regulations Make sure your images are pinnable and land users on relevant page Support contest through eblasts, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, website Benchmark engagement Use thoughtful copy for image captions
- HOW ABOUTsome tips and tricks
- INCREASE ENGAGEMENTInclude a call to action in pin description
- INCREASE VISIBILITYPin 1 hour before the the peak periods
- GET FOUNDUse keywords in images, descriptions, and titles
- INTEGRATE WITH SOCIAL MEDIA Integrate with other social media
- INTEGRATE EMAIL MARKETINGInclude follow icons and pinspiration in email
- CHECK ORIGINAL SOURCEEver clicked a pin only to go to an error page?
- ON THE WEBSITEOn the home page, footer, and Pin It on pages
- AVOID LOOKING LIKE A SPAMMER Do not only include links to your website Do not post the image more than once Do not use stock images Do not fail to organize your boards Do not neglect to like and repin Do not pin your image in the wrong category
- MEASURE SUCCESSMetrics Referral traffic Clicks per pin Re-pins per pin Average visit duration Conversion ratePlatforms PinReach Repinly and more Benchmark and measure success!
- Q&Aits your turn